The soundbars are the perfect addition to a home cinema setup with a projector system. A trend is to set up a home theatre with a projector, soundbar, and a wide screen. It gives a cinema-like experience on the premises of the home. One must connect the projector to soundbar to enhance the audio coming out of the projector.
You will learn how to connect soundbar to projector in the best possible way. Also, you will find information about the standard audio connection on soundbar and projector and some instructions regarding them. These include HDMI, SPDIF, and Analogue and wireless connections serving as a means to connect soundbar to the projector’s output. But first, you must make sure that both the devices are compatible. You can also use the projector as the media source or connect it to external devices like a laptop or DVD player. It is not very complicated. However, there is a step-by-step process you will need to follow to get it correct. You will find all the relevant information here in this article.
Table of Contents
Can I connect the soundbar to the projector?
Yes, it is possible to connect the soundbar and a projector. The connection can be made possible with an HDMI, or RCA cable, whatever your projector is compatible with. You can also connect both devices wirelessly through Bluetooth and WiFi. Soundbars are the receivers of transmission signals. To transmit the video and audio signals, you can use an extended cable or a wireless transmitter. The process is similar for both the short and long-throw projector. However, the distance and placement of both the soundbar and projector can make a possible difference in the audio quality. It will be best to connect the projector and soundbar with the HDMI cable. If this option is on the list, you must go for it. Otherwise, you can choose another way of connecting the soundbar to the projector.
How Can I Connect Soundbar to Projector?
As you know, you can connect both devices to transform your audio and video experience. Now you must know how to connect the soundbar to the projector? First of all, you need to:
Check the compatibility of the soundbar and projector:
The most important step is knowing whether your projector supports a soundbar or not. For this, you need to check the compatible output ports on your projector. Then follow how you can connect those ports to the soundbar.
Types of connection:
Different types of connections are available to connect your projector with a soundbar. The problem arises in finding the compatible projector output and soundbar input connection. If the issue prevails, it can affect the audio quality. Following are some connections to Connect soundbar to a projector.
- HDMI or HDMI ARC
- SPDIF or Digital Optical Connection
- Analog Connections
- Wireless Connection (WIFI and Bluetooth)
After learning about the compatibility of your devices and types of connections, you shall proceed to make the connection possible. For this, you must follow the following guidelines.
How to Connect soundbar to projector using an Extended HDMI Cable
HDMI/HDMI ARC offers a high-quality sound as compared to other connections. Therefore, it is recommended to connect the projector and soundbar using HDMI/HDMI arc. If your device supports HDMI cable, it is the best for you. It promises good quality sound. It is also used to connect gaming consoles and Blu-ray players. If your projector and soundbar are compatible with HDMI ports, you can connect them using an HDMI cable. Find a high-speed HDMI cable. It will enhance your experience for sure. HDMI tends to give a high-quality sound and offers support to multiple audio channels, which is why it is considered the best option for connecting devices. The HDMI input goes with the soundbar while the output is connected to the projector. Another thing you will need is an HDMI cable.
To hook up your projector and soundbar, follow the underlying steps:
- Turn both your projector and soundbar off.
- Locate the HDMI or HDMI ARC ports. You will notice a small HDMI/ARC near the port.
- Connect one end of the extended HDMI cable to the ports on the projector, and connect the other to the HDMI arc port of the soundbar.
- Also, plug the HDMI cable into ports of any external media source if applicable.
- Turn on the devices (streaming device if applicable).
- Set the configuration of the audio input and output. Your projector must use the soundbar as the audio source once connected. Check the configuration to ensure the HDMI source is your preferred output.
- Run a performance test by streaming a video with audio to ensure everything is working well enough. Otherwise, look for another alternative option or locate the source of the issue first.
- Remember that if you use a 7.1 channel soundbar, the HDMI ARC connection will downgrade it to a 5.1 channel. However, for a 5.1 sound system, it will give the same audio output.
The modern and newly manufactured models come equipped with HDMI or HDMI ARC port with an HDMI connection. However, the older projectors lack HDMI compatibility. You can use an HDMI adapter or go for any other connection.
You must remember a few other important points while connecting your projector and Soundbar through HDMI.
- For HDMI cable connection, first, you need to ensure the compatibility of the devices. You can check the specification to know if they support HDMI connections.
- After this, select an extended HDMI cable of an appropriate length. The cable must be capable of transmitting both audio and video signals to the devices.
- You must connect the soundbar directly to the projector. All of the devices must be connected correctly to the external media sources.
- You must hide the HDMI cable after connecting the soundbar and projector. It may not only look messy, but it can be a safety hazard. There are multiple ways to hide it, for example, running it through the ceiling.
How to Connect soundbar to projector using SPDIF or Digital Optical Connection
SPDIF uses TOSLINK or RCA connection. It is a digital connection and gives off high-quality audio. It uses a round RCA connector and square TOSLINK connector. SPDIF: It uses TOSLINK and RCA connections. If your soundbar supports this connection, it also gives high-quality sound. Optical/Toslink also gives off the excellent quality sound. You must check the compatibility of your soundbar and the projector. If both the devices are compatible, you can go for this type of connection.
- Turn off both projector and Soundbar
- Connect TOSLINK/RCA SPDIFcable to projector output
- Plug in the other end of the cable to the output port on the Soundbar
- Turn on the devices and check the audio quality
How to Connect soundbar to the projector using Analog connections
For connecting the projector to the soundbar through analog, it will use RCA or AUX connection. They are much simpler and hassle-free. Unfortunately, the aux/minijack connection does not offer great sound quality. They are preferred if you do not have another option for connecting the projector to the soundbar. Both of your devices must be compatible. You will also need a high-quality extended RCA cable for smooth audio and video signal transmission. It is recommended to use good quality connection cables while making these types of connections. If you lack other digital options, RCA will do the talk for you. It gives decent quality sound. It uses an analog connection type. Stereo 3.5mm using an analog connection type also can connect your soundbar to the projector. However, it doesn’t promise a high-quality sound. It is limited to stereo.
To connect the devices through an Analog connection, all you need is to:
- Turn off the devices.
- Locate the RCA port on the projector, and connect it to the aux cable port on the soundboard. They will have red and white.
- connect the second end of the cable to the compatible port or ports of the soundbar.
- Plug the RCA cable into the projector and soundbar and then into the streaming media device.
- Turn ON both devices and check if you can get the audio.
- Check the configuration and adjust your setting to RCA as preferred.
- run a performance test.
Such types of connections are the 2.1 channel soundbar. If you have a 3.1 channel, it will be degraded to a 2.1 channel.
Wireless Connection (WIFI and Bluetooth)
If you are having a ceiling mounted projector then it might be difficult to connect it to the soundbar. You will have two choices, either have a long extended cable or connect the devices wirelessly. Both the compatible projectors and soundbars can be connected wirelessly. This option is preferred by the people who do not want wired connections. If your projectors and soundbar are compatible wirelessly, you would just need to pair the devices. However, this is not preferred to a greater extent as it may cause lag in the transmission signals. If you are using a wireless transmitter then a low-quality transmitters will affect the video and audio quality. This results in a lag in the output. Therefore it is recommended for you to choose a high-quality wireless transmitter. Bluetooth can be another option for wireless connections. If both your soundbar and projector support Bluetooth, then it is well and good for you. However, device distance may affect the sound quality.
You can also opt for Bluetooth connections. Although famous, they are less reliable and may affect video and audio transmission. It is for those who want to avoid the hassle of long wires running along with the home. Just be sure the transmitter is high-quality and has enough capacity to stream your video and audio without a lag.
How to connect a Soundbar with a projector using a Bluetooth connection
- Turn on the Bluetooth on Soundbar
- Toggle through the projector menu and look for the Bluetooth option. Turn it ON, and look for a soundbar.
- Accept the connection, and enter the pairing code.
- Soundbar must connect to the projector.
- Run a performance check to see if it is working.
How to connect a Soundbar with a projector using a wireless transmitter
To connect a Soundbar with a projector using a wireless transmitter, consider the following steps:
- Check if the devices are compatible
- For an HDMI wireless transmitter, plug the HDMI port into the projector.
- Now plug your compatible transmitter into the projector.
- Connect the transmitter with your soundbar.
- Adjust the input settings on your projector.
- Run a performance test. Now you are good to go.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
How can I connect the Gaming Console to Soundbar and Projector?
If you are looking for ways to connect PlayStation or Xbox to Soundbar and projector, you must purchase a 1×2 HDMI splitter. It will make the connections possible. After having the HDMI splitter, you should:
Turn off the devices and plug the HDMI splitter into the gaming console.
You get two output HDMI ports with an HDMI splitter. One must be connected to the projector’s output, while the other to the soundbar.
Turn on the devices and check the connections. Possibly, you will get the right audio after following these steps.
How to Connect Soundbar to TV?
You must plug in the audio output from the TV to the input of the soundbar using an RCA/AUX cable or HDMI ARC cable. For Bluetooth connection, you must pair both devices. Stream the devices to check if the connection works.
Should you try to connect your projector with a soundbar?
Projectors usually come with weak speakers. Most users don’t like the sound coming out of them. In such cases, the sound bar serves as a lightweight option. It can be connected to the projector in multiple ways. The connection can be both wireless and wired, depending on your devices. So, if you don’t like the audio coming out of your projector, you must also consider connecting the soundbar to the projector.
What cable do you need to connect the soundbar, receiver, and projector?
Optical cable Or HDMI cables are a major option for connecting your devices. However, the Auxiliary/3.5mm cable can also be utilized in the process. It is the most commonly used cable connecting the soundbar and projector. The optical and HDMI ARC cable gives the highest-quality audio sound and the best experience.
What to do when the projector is away or ceiling mount?
There are two options you have. You can connect your projector and Soundbar with WiFi or Bluetooth. Or you have to use the long cable for the connection.
The soundbar is not ideal due to the hassle and unpromised audio quality. But still, it is the most commonly used. The soundbars are lightweight, cheaper, and connect easily with the projector. To connect a soundbar to your projector is not as complicated. It is just a matter of connecting the right kind of cable to the right kind of ports. You can execute the best quality audio by following the above-mentioned easy ways. We have mentioned methods of how to connect the soundbar to projector. We hope it will provide you with better surround sound, transforming your home theater system.